Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
OPI Work Day - Bloomington Park - Sat, June 30 - 8:30 a.m.
Saturday, June 30, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM (PDT)
Its time once again to grab your work gloves and join OPI to help make our City’s pitches a better place to enjoy the beautiful game. For our first event of the summer we’ll be fixing up the full sized grass pitch at Bloomington Park in Southeast Portland on Saturday, June 30. Full details below:
- Where is it? Bloomington Park. SE 100th Avenue & Steele Street (map)
- When is it? Saturday, June 30. Work begins at 8:30 a.m. Please arrive on time as you’ll need to sign the City’s liability waiver before beginning work.
- How do I participate? You MUST sign up on this Eventbrite page (free). For this first event, we’re capping registration at 50 participants. Also, you must have previously signed up on OPI's mailing list or be members of the 107ist in order to participate. Anyone who will be meaningfully digging needs to register. Kids who won’t be working do not need to register (but feel free to bring them out).
- What kind of work will we be doing? The work will be similar to what we did at Ed Benedict last summer. Work will include things like moving soil to fill the ruts and uneven spots in the pitch, leveling the surface, overseeding the soil and excavation and repair of the park’s irrigation system. PPR personnel will be on hand to supervise and direct the work. We also hope to have some lighter duties available (cleaning and painting the goals) for those who may not be able to dig.
- What should I bring? All tools will be provided by the City of Portland so leave your shovels and wheelbarrows at home. You should bring work gloves and appropriate footwaear. If it is cool, wear layers! If it is sunny, bring suncreen! We’ll have some family friendly beverages and small breakfasty items on hand.
- How long will it take? If you ask City personnel, our work rate is legendary. Expect 3–5 hours. We’ll be done in plenty of time to get you on your way to your favorite viewing location for Timbers at Colorado Rapids at 6:00 p.m.
Can’t make this one? No worries. We have 3 more events scheduled for this summer - be sure to add those dates to your calendar. Keep an eye on this space for more information and where/how to sign up. Questions? Drop us a line at volunteer [at] pitch-invasion [dot] org.
When & Where
Operation Pitch Invasion
Operation Pitch Invasion is a local, grass-roots charity that builds, revitalizes and maintains soccer fields throughout the Portland Metro area so that players of all ages and skill levels have high quality and safe playing surfaces to enjoy the beautiful game.